Total Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Cook Time: 1 – 1 ½ hours
Servings: 6-12 servings
Level of Difficulty: 4
(Levels 1-5, with 5 being the most difficult)
Recipe by Brandyn Baker @blackdog_bbq
- 2-3 lbs. Pork Belly
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2-3 T fresh ginger
- 4 Star Anise
- 4 Dried red chilis
- 1 tsp Sichuan pepper
- ½ C dark soy sauce
- 4 T Chinese cooking wine
- ¼ C sugar
- ¾ C water
- Sesame seeds & green onions to garnish (if desired)
- 1 package Noodles, cooked per box directions
- Start by taking the pork belly and cutting it into 1 ½ - 2-inch cubes. Next, add oil to a skillet over medium high heat. Once the skillet becomes hot, add the pork belly and brown all sides. Ideally, you’re looking for the pork to be a golden-brown color. Once this has been achieved, remove the pork belly from the skillet momentarily and reduce the heat to medium.
- Add garlic and next 4 ingredients to the skillets and sauté for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the pork back in to cook with the spices for about 1 minute. Then, add the soy sauce and next 3 ingredients to the pot and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook the pork belly for 30-45 minutes, covered.
- After 30-45 minutes, remove the skillet lid and continue cooking until the sauce has reduced and the pork belly is tender (internal temperature is about 205 degrees typically).
- Serve the pork belly over the prepared noodles, garnish with sesame seeds and green onions and enjoy!