Recipe by: Miguel Ray @cookingwithfire
8 1/4 lb Patties
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 buns
- 2 medium sweet onions
- 3 tbsp mayo
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 3 tbsp mustard
- 3 tbsp hot sauce
In a bowl, combine the sauce ingredients (mayo, ketchup, mustard, and hot sauce) and mix well. Set aside.
- Preheat your grill on high heat. Make sure the grates are clean and well-oiled to prevent sticking.
- Slice the sweet onions into thin rounds.
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add a tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the sliced onions and cook for about 10-12 minutes, or until they are tender and lightly caramelized. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
Season the onions with salt and pepper to taste, then remove from heat and set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Take the patties and season both sides with salt and pepper. Place them on the grill and let them cook for 3 minutes.
Flip the patties and cook for another 2-3 minutes until they are cooked through. During the last minute of cooking, place a slice of cheddar cheese on top of each patty and close the grill lid to melt the cheese.
- Once the patties are done, remove them from the grill and place them on a plate to rest.
- While the patties are resting, toast the buns on the grill for about 10-15 seconds. Remove them from the grill and set aside.
- To assemble the burgers, spread the sauce on the bottom bun. Then add a layer of the caramelized onions and a few strips of crispy bacon. Top with two patties with melted cheddar cheese. Add another layer of sauce, then top it off with the other half of the bun.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make the remaining burgers.
- Serve hot with your favorite side dishes, such as fries or a salad.