Total Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Cook Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 1-2 servings
Level of Difficulty: 2
(Levels 1-5, with 5 being the most difficult)
Recipe by Brandyn Baker @blackdog_bbq
- 2 T butter
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- Oil as needed
- 1 lbs. flank steak
- ½ french bread loaf
- 3-4 slices provolone cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Sauteed Onions & Peppers:
- Preheat the griddle to high. Once the griddle begins to heat up, add butter and to season griddle until melted. Add the onions and bell peppers and sauté until tender.
- Leave the griddle on.
For the Steak:
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper to taste. Add the steaks to the griddle at the same temperature as above and cook for about 10-12 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches desired consistency (I shoot for 125-130 degrees). Make sure to flip the steaks as needed.
- Remove the steak from the griddle, allow to rest for 10-15 minutes, then cube. Place the cubed steak in a bowl for the next step.
For the Sandwich Boat:
- Take the loaf of bread and cut in half. Next make a horizontal cut 1/3 of the way into the loaf of bread to remove the top (I like to only remove the top 1/3 instead of half to leave more room for the toppings coming up!). Pick out the innards of the bread using your fingers and discard, leaving you with a “bread boat”.
- Layer the bread boat with cheese, peppers & onions, steak, and 2 more slices of cheese. Place the bread boat in a broiler until the cheese has melted. Repeat this process for the 2nd half of the loaf if desired.
Serve the halved bread boats with sides of choice. Enjoy!