Recipe Title: Smash Burgers with Candied Onions, Bacon Bits, & Pimento Cheese
Total Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Cook Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 2-4 servings
Level of Difficulty: 3
(Levels 1-5, with 5 being the most difficult)
Recipe by Brandyn Baker @blackdog_bbq
- 1 lbs. 80%/20% ground beef
- 2-4 hamburger buns
- 2 T butter
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 onion, quartered & sliced
- ½ c maple syrup
- ½ C pimento cheese
For the Bacon:
- Preheat the griddle to 375 degrees. Once preheated, add the diced bacon and cook until the fat begins to render. Once the bacon bits begin to darken in color and crisp, remove them from the griddle and place in a bowl for later use.
For the Caramelized Onions:
- Add the onions into the remaining bacon grease and sauté until golden-brown.
- Once the onions are tender, pour the maple syrup over the onions, reduce the heat to 275 degrees, and simmer until the maple syrup has reduced and caramelized on the onions. Place the onions in a bowl and set aside. Increase the burner to sear mode.
For the Smash Burgers:
- Take the ground beef out of the packaging and add to a bowl. Season the beef with salt and pepper to taste, then knead the meat into 4 equal-sized meatballs (~4 oz. each) and set aside.
- Add the butter to the griddle, allowing it to melt. Next, place the meatballs on the griddle. Using a spatula, press down on one of the meatballs to flatten (tip: place parchment paper on top of the meatball to prevent it from sticking to the spatula). Repeat this process with the 3 remaining meatballs. Allow them to cook for about 5 minutes a side or until thoroughly browned and cooked through (minimum 155 degrees internal temperature if using a thermometer). Once finished, set the burgers on a plate.
- Open the hamburger buns and place them face down on the griddle for about 30 seconds, just until toasted. Remove the buns and turn off the griddle.
- Place a hamburger bun on a plate and top with pimento cheese and 2 chorizo smash burgers. After that, top the burger with the candied onions and sprinkle with bacon bits to finish.
- Serve with your sides of choice and enjoy!