LoCo Turkey Tips
Can I reuse the oil?
Yes, you can reuse it. But there are a few ru1es to follow
• Allow oil to cool to room temperature
• Filter oil through multiple layers. of cheesecloth, paper coffee filter etc. – This is to remove any left behind particles from item(s) fried
• Store the oil in an airtight container in a container in a cool dark location
• Do not store used oil for more than six months
• Used oil stored improperly or too long can go rancid and make you sick
• Oil reheated will darken in color and increase viscosity
What size turkey should I fry?
The recommended size of a turkey for frying is 121b to 161b turkey
Most pots are approximately 30QT and with a 12lb to 161b turkey, the pot allows for the oil to boil freely around the
turkey for even frying
What size turkey for number of guests?
• 8 lb. -12 lb. for 6-8 Guests
• 12 lb. -14 lb. for 8-10 Guests
• 14 lb. -18 lb. for 10-14 Guests
• 18 lb. -20 lb. for 14-16 Guests
• 20 lb. - 22 lb. for 16-18 Guests
• 22 lb. - 24 lb. for 18-20 Guests
How long will my 141b turkey take to fry?
The formula for frying a turkey is 3 to 4 minutes per pound. So, a 14Lb turkey will take approximately 42 minutes.
• Internal temperature should be no less than 165 °F
Recommended Thawing of your holiday bird
LoCo recommends thawing your turkey in the refrigerator.
Allow one day for each 4 - 5 pounds of weight.
• 4-12 lbs. turkey will take 1-3 days to thaw
• 12-16 lbs. turkey will take 3 to 4 days to thaw
• 16-20 lbs. turkey will take 4 to 5 days to thaw
• 20-24 lbs. turkey will take 4 to days to thaw
• The thawed turkey if refrigerated is safe for use an additional two days
Alternate method of thawing
Cold Water Thawing
• Must be done immediately (same day) before you start cooking the turkey
• Leave the turkey in its original wrapping and submerge it in a sink (or container) full of cold water.
• Water must be cold so that the turkey stays at a safe temperature
• You should change the water every 30 minutes
• Empty out the water and replace it with fresh cold water.
Allow for 30 minutes of defrosting time per pound.
Example: if your turkey weighs 16 pounds, it will take about eight hours to thaw.
Once the turkey has thawed, cook it immediately
How NOT to Thaw a Turkey
In case you are wondering, here are some thawing methods that are not recommended:
• thawing a turkey on the counter, in the garage or on the back porch
• thawing a turkey in a brown paper grocery bag or plastic garbage bag
• using the dishwasher to thaw a turkey (with or without water)
• any method that is not the refrigerator, cold water, or the microwave